Thursday, July 01, 2004

Soon To Begin Building

The word from the Plans Examiner's office is that our plans are nearly approved. The didn't commit to a specific deadline, but since our loan is not complete yet, I figure there's no point hectoring them for now.
Hopefully within the next week or two we can earnestly begin building. First we need to locate and contract an excavator. I also need to order some tubing to conduct hot water through the floor for our radiant heat system.
The electric company is sending a quote for running our powerline from the base of the driveway to the transformer box.
I've found that there is very little difference between the super-efficient refrigerators and the Energy Star rated big-name brand models. I'd pay $1000 more for the ability to save $11 dollars in electricity per year. While I would love to save $11 dollars per year, I don't think I can justify this. what I'm talking about is a Sunfrost vs. Frigidaire Energy Star model of roughly the same volume.
On the up side, there is a $1000 rebate from the PUD on Photovoltaic equipment. I still have to figure out what the best payback period will be for a PV system. And, of course I'm planning on making some solar collecting hot water heaters, so our energy bills should be really kept in check.

No comments :