Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Newness

Ever since I learned of the wonders of diesel fuel (not that long ago) I have wanted a small, diesel-powered vehicle for taking long trips in. Now that gas is 40 cents costlier than diesel, per gallon, (add that to diesel's inherent 35% better efficiency and you get something impressive, which I bet I could figure out if it was 9 AM, instead of 9 PM) and I have a new job, which requires me to commute (everywhere is far from here) I finally have the perfect storm of motives to act on that fantasy. So, over the past weekend Heidi and I settled on a car that looks like this one:
http://www.aiwana.com/p8sky.jpg

Ours is a TDI, which are known for their excellent gas mileage. And I got my first 10 gallons of B5 diesel. Shout out to Charlie for tipping me off on where to find that north of Portland.

We're all lovin' the bug. I have 200+ miles since I filled up and am well above the half-tank mark. Woohoo!

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear it regarding the car! Is it silver, like the Saturn?

If so I am going to call it : Heigh Ho Silver.

Lief said...

Nice!
I have always thought that the Beetles were nice. You should have plenty of headroom in there.

When you can, let's hear what the mileage is?

Lief

Anonymous said...

Yippee!! Jim and I loved our years of Bug ownership. Best of luck.

Amboy Observer said...

The way it is shaping up, it looks like I'll get something over 500 miles on a tank. I think the tank is either 11 or 12 gallons, based on the expected 49 mpg and my progress so far.

Great Grumpy Z. said...

" .... it looks like I'll get something over 500 miles on a tank."

Don't be like your Grandpa Z and "calibrate" the tank size and mpg by running out of fuel. So far, I have done it on every car I have owned except for the Red Rocket I now own.