Thursday, November 06, 2008

White Spaces

This feels to me like some kind of karmic election day present to the people: the FCC has released white spaces, which opens the door to better, cheaper wireless broadband. 

This has the potential to move this country a huge step forward towards universal broadband access (appeals to rural folks in particular) and also bring down the costs of broadband for everyone.

I'll let the pros explain it:
... the FCC Tuesday voted in favor of White Spaces, delighting the tech industry and those in favor of ubiquitous Internet and irritating broadcasters, wireless mic makers and Dolly Parton

While I generally make it a rule not to oppose Dolly Parton in anything, in this case, I think she may have been overly concerned about the impact on her business. And, anyway, to stand in the way of all good that universal broadband could do is not going to be the right side of history.
If you believe, as I do, that the internet is a terrific machine of democracy, this is a boon of momentous proportions.

2 comments :

Bop-op said...

I would enjoy standing up against Dolly Parton.

I'm not sure what the impact of white spaces is going to be though.

The Campbell's said...

Oh Uncle Jim!!!!

It is nice to see some things never change.