Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cactus About to Flower

I have a cactus that I found in Las Animas county Colorado and have had for about five years. 
Right now, and for the first (or maybe second) time, it is beginning to flower. It's not a very showy flower, but I think it may be the only non-christmas cactus I've gotten to flower at all.
 
Not that I've really gotten it to do anything. My only achievement is just that I haven't let it die. 
I think it is cool that a transplant from Colorado is doing so well on my windowsill. 
Meanwhile, my other cactus is now 6 spine-clusters long on the new segment it grew and which I mentioned on this blog in April of 2007.

2 comments :

Great Grumpy Z. said...

James, your Great Aunt Hazel (my kid sister) is a cactus afficianado; she has many, many specimens of different exotic cacti in her collection. She prides herself in getting the blooming ones to bloom each year.

You'd have to check with her, but I believe an important part of the care of a cacti is to NOT disturb it anymore than absolutely necessary! If you move it, be sure to orient it toward the same polar direction as before and keep it in similar sun/shade conditions.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't find the April "07" referenced cactus which I think enjoyed my windowsill for years :) it grew, but don't think it ever bloomed.