Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Amadou et Mariam

If you had to pick the best musician out of a crowd of musicians you've never heard before and you happened to notice only one of them was a blind guitar-player, what would you do?

And what if that the blind guitar player happened to be a West African with a blind chanteuse for a wife and bandmate?

Before I get to far in this, and the reader starts to think I buy into nothing but stereotypes, let me say this was essentially the situation a few weeks ago while I was browsing emusic.com.

I had a few downloads to use up and I wandered over to a list of African guitar legends. Having heard of none of them previously, I was left to read these books by their respective covers. Each was generally interesting, but when I found the blind husband and wife team, my instincts took over; this music I must hear.

Now, if I had made this choice and my stereotype-based choice had proven wrong, you wouldn't be reading this blog because I wouldn't have written this blog.

As it turns out though, Amadou et Mariam have been a particular pleasure for me to listen to as of late, which is why I'm bothering telling you so, if I may steal the line from Dr. Seuss.

They aren't bombastic, or in-your-face with their skill-level. Rather, their style is understatement. They tend to have a gentle, typically African sounding rhythm section. The guitar is used rather sparingly but is of good quality. The guitar doesn't become the obvious focal point of the music, which is the great evil that good guitarists often partake in. Instead, many parts combine to create a satisfying whole: brass, drums, vocals, strings interwoven well, with some particularly attractive and brief solos for the brass and strings.

I also like the fact that the lyrics are in French which always sounds nice and allows me to focus on the music and the mood that's created by it.

This is my musical recommendation for the month.
You can listen to perhaps the best track on their Greatest Hits album in the following embedded YouTube video


5 comments :

Lief said...

I don't know how you come up with the good descriptions you do. I listened and I can not be so discriminating I guess. It is good music, it quickly blended into my mind and what I was doing such that when it ended I didn't really notice it was over or that I had even heard it at all?

I think that ends up being good though. ;)

The Campbell's said...

My darling nephew, we are in sync as they say. This couple was one of two opening acts for Coldplay this past weekend at the Gorge. I don't have any photos of them unfortunately but take a peek anyway. http://newclancampbell.blogspot.com/

I had no idea they were blind. They were very good and got everyone enthused and excited. They had two female dancers with them that were absolutely fantastic, and in that heat! Oy vey! They really shook their stuff and let loose, it was wild. I did take particular notice because they sang in French. I was so anxious for Coldplay though, I probably didn't give them the attention they deserved. Thanks for chiming in about this. Both of us being exposed to the same act in one week is pretty incredible!! Keep on looking for good music :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, my previous comment didn't get recorded. As I said, good beat, nice lyrics, I give it an 8 Dick. I could translate the lyrics for a small fee. Hee hee.

Lief said...

Is there a musical recommendation for September pending?

Laura in WY said...

I just (quite by accident) stumbled on to your blog. It is beautiful. All of it. Thank you for sharing.