Saturday, August 29, 2009

Gourmet Bread


This picture shows a cross-section of the loaf of no-knead bread I made yesterday under the tutelage of Dwayne Kryger.
Dwayne demonstrated a pull-and-fold technique that increases the elasticity of the dough as a way to trap the bubbles more effectively. It really worked. Whereas my first couple batches began by popping holes in their top, this batch never let the gases escape without handling.

My oven runs hot, so I burned a portion of the crust. Nonetheless, the bread was very respectable even though from beginning to end the process took less than 12 hours.

Today I'm working on a version with 1/3rd whole wheat flour. I'm going to let it rise overnight for the utmost in bubble size and flavor.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments :

Great Grumpy Z. said...

It looks delicious; makes me hungry!!

The coarseness of the loaf sort of reminds me of my Mother's home-made bread. She used a mix of white and whole wheat flour (I don't know the proportions), but I know that she kneaded her bread (I helped with a small wad once -- my baked, finished little loaf was much browner than hers, inside and out!).

The Grand Mother used to bake whole wheat bread apparently using about the same proportions as my Mother, since the color of the finished bread was about the same. The Grand Mother apparently kneaded her bread much more because the texture was much finer.

Bop-op said...

Does your recipe include milk or butter? If not, I'd like to try baking some.

Amboy Observer said...

Water, yeast, flour and salt. That's it.

Recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

The bread I made includes three foldings at 30 minute intervals during the beginning of the process. And I baked mine less than 12 hours after starting.
I think this means you have a lot of leeway to make a tasty loaf.