Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bike Upgrade

To prepare for the eventual receipt of an electrified velomobile, I have decided to get and stay in shape so that when I do get it, I'll be ready to ride it all the way in to Vancouver for my commute.

My old mountain bike was pretty worn out and not ergonomic for me, so I upgraded my bike to a 1984 Rampar R-1 ten-speed bicycle.
It looks like this:

It rolls really nicely and is a larger frame than my old mountain-bike, so I have a lot less weight on my wrists.

However, recently I was reminded just how uncomfortable it is to ride in wet conditions with no fenders. The constant road-spray on the backside provides a chill, clammy sensation that is as hard to endure as it is to describe.

So, I was determined to resolve the fender problem this weekend.

Then I got to thinking about how much I needed a new pair of shoes. And, since I had discovered a pair of cleated biking shoes that work as "regular" shoes when you aren't biking.... I thought to myself (and explained to my very patient wife) that I might as well kill two birds with one stone and get the biking shoes I wanted and just use them as my every day shoes as well.

Once inside REI the typical REI-fever set-in and before you knew it, I had my fenders, my shoes and some nice egg-beater pedals from Crank Brothers to really upgrade. And I had some really nice socks and weather-resistant pants to keep the wind and rain off my "engine-house".

REI-fever tends to dent the budget, and this was no exception. However, if you look at the recent report from NPR, it puts the cost in a better perspective:
the annual cost of being obese is $4,879 for a woman and $2,646 for a man.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

So, you are actually saving money! I really get it!

Amboy Observer said...

Precisely!

Lief said...

One good thing about double dipping shoes with a velomobile is that your feet probably won't get wet, ever.
At least not by rainwater.

Even with my recumbent I have a dryer at work that my shoes go on after rainy commutes. Hot ones too - feet sweat a lot.

I think you will really be happy with the egg beaters. I am.

Great Grumpy Z. said...

You have got to be an imposing figure riding that Rampar R-1!! Should really alert all oncoming motorists from both directions.

Your rationale is great -- as long as you can get away with it!! Works for me, too.
GpaZ

Amboy Observer said...

I actually had a guy ride up from behind me one day and after saying "Hi", said "Man, you're way up there!"

It's a 68 cm frame. And though it still isn't ergonomically ideal, it is a lot better than my old bike.

Bop-op said...

These are all reasonable purchases, and modestly priced. The egg beater pedals are also a good choice. You may want to get some water proof booties. I wear mine almost all winter, both for rain and for cold.

The velomobile should eventually eliminate the need for rain gear though.

Anonymous said...

I third the eggbeaters. They are the only clipless pedals I have ever used so I really can't say they are better than other. I like them though.

Booties are a good idea. I had some that lasted a grand total of three uses before the zipper broke. When you have massive feet you really have a hard time with stuff like that. I need to find some that are bigger before winter sets in.

I personally don't like wearing waterproof pants. I get too hot and then sweat so much that I may as well have been rTom.ained on. I have tights that wear that I find work well to keep me warm even when I get rained on.

Tom.