Sunday, May 22, 2005

Scything

With the return of spring, and grass that threatens to overgrow my driveway while I sleep, my mind (and body) turn to scything. If you're still reading, please allow me to make this recommendation as emphatically as I can:
If you use a weedwhacker, consider a European-style scythe instead. These are not "your grandfather's" scythe. They are so light that it is possible to mow without even working up a sweat. And scythesupply.com will create a custom-length handle for you, which makes using your scythe an exercise in ergonomic bliss.
I won't be too long-winded, but I will finish by offering a list of great reasons to switch from weedwacking to scything:
  • No power-cords, no gas
  • No noise. Hear your surroundings while working.
  • No dangerous projectiles
  • Refuse is more manageable (easy to rake and pile, without pulverised plant matter stuck to walls)
  • Refuse is potentially useful (you can harvest this as hay if you
    like)
  • Mow any time of day without annoying the neighbors
  • Excellent, ergonomic, gentle exercise.
If you do much weedwhacking, go to scythesupply.com and buy. You won't regret it.

3 comments :

Bop-op said...

I've decided to order a scythe for myself. I want to trim the edge of my lawn, around flowerbeds, and maybe I'll use it instead of a mower.

Bop-op said...

I tried submitting an order but discovered that their order form submits non-encrypted data. I will have to use the phone to place my order. They suggest, as an alternative, using email to transmit credit card information, which is probably even a worse idea.

Amboy Observer said...

They've improved their site since I placed my order last year. I just called on the phone because I felt like that was a little safer. The lady that runs the business is very friendly.
Which blade are you going to get?
If you opt for the peening jig, ask her if they have any tips to avoid 'jamming' the jig. I've jammed two of them and I don't know if it's because I'm pounding too hard, or what.
I'm going to order a rig for Heidi. And, I'm going to ask that they sharpen the blade so that I can see if I'm getting it as sharp as possible. I also need to order another of the cross-pein hammers. I think someone snagged mine during the construction of my house.:|