Monday, October 01, 2007

Saffron Ice Cream

Not only did we have Saffron Ice Cream today, but it was Homemade Saffron Ice Cream.

Our ice cream maker that we were given 9 years ago on the occasion of our marriage, has rattled about amongst our possesions for most of that time. However, we always agreed that, unlike many things we've had to jettison just to fit in our house, the ice cream maker should stay.

Well it all paid off today. In case you are wondering, saffron ice cream is indeed as decadent and delicious as it sounds. We made it the extra-decadent way with 6 egg yolks per quart.

Jamey got some practice separating yolks from the albumen and helped me greatly in the elaborate process involved in making good ice cream from scratch.

He also helped me make lunch by slicing potatoes, tomatoes and onions. He is so enthusiastic about cooking, he reminds me of me as a boy and I'm fantasizing that I can send him off to culinary school someday and when I retire I'll become his "Tester" for the delicacies he invents for his 5-star restaurant. :)

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yummers!

Great Grumpy Z. said...

Oh! oh! I can see a pot-bellied James in the future! I know how I was always such a afficiando for delicious things --(like LMP's, for example!) and now that I am retired, I sometimes over-indulge -- just a little bit.

Huh? What did you say, Grand Mother?