Monday, June 23, 2008

Thai Glutinous Rice

This weekend we located an Asian grocer in Vancouver and wasted no time in realizing the prices made it worth stocking up. I know it's not nice, but a few weeks ago, when I heard there is a worldwide shortage of rice, my first thought was "that's sad/scary". My second thought was "Boy I could really use some delicious rice to eat!" And I've pretty much obsessed about rice ever since.

In the past few weeks I have purchased: sweet, brown, sweet brown, short-grain, premium short-grain, black (emperor's forbidden), Thai glutinous, red, and jasmine rice.

I'm not proud, I'm just laying down the facts.

The "emperor" rice was such a hit at our Thai dinner, we've been jonesing for our next hit for a couple weeks.

So, yesterday, we bought 25 pounds of Thai glutinous rice, some coconut milk and champagne mangoes and made them up together in a dessert that tasted "just like the restaurant". The only thing we didn't have to make it 100% authentic was the pandanus leaf, which we did buy, but then observed mold thereupon and so discarded it.
If you ever get down this way, I strongly suggest you request this dish from the chef.

3 comments :

Lief said...

DULY REQUESTED!
That Mango Sticky Rice dessert is one of our favorites.

We will be in town in July, as you know, and I am willing to cart whatever I must in my saddle bags to partake of that pleasurable dessert.

Great Grumpy Z. said...

Count the Grand Mother and Grumpy, also!!

We plan to greet the butt-sore bikers when they arrive in Portland on the 12th and stay overnight in Vancouver before heading home on the final leg of this Summer 2008 adventure. [Comment from Olivia MN]

Great Grumpy Z. said...

[Posted at Amboy WA, 12 July 2008]
Grumpy got a free(?) sample of James' Thai Glutinous Rice. After all, someone had to check it out before feeding it to the Butt-Sore Brigade! Yummm-m-m!!! After two and a half helpings, Grumpy declares it "Top Banana" -- er, I mean Mango.