Saturday, February 21, 2009

Made The Paper

The Columbian reported on Green Mountain School's Shadow Day. 
Since I couldn't stand and watch a bunch of kids playing without joining in, and since I didn't understand the rules to many of the various games that they were playing, I began shooting a basketball at one of the hoops.

At their age, the children in Jamey and Arthur's class don't tend to think of the basketball hoop as something within the realm of their interaction. They are just too high up. However, once I began doing it, a few of them thought to give it a go.

Before long most of them were making shots with some regularity, despite being only barely able to toss a ball that high. Their natural ability struck me as rather impressive. I coached them a bit on technique, but mostly just gave encouragement. The kids really lit up and had a blast. 

One of the other parents took a picture and that was submitted to the Columbian, who felt it worth publishing in their "Community" section.
You can see the picture they posted in their archive:

5 comments :

The Campbell's said...

That's awesome...great picture of you all. You rock!!

Anonymous said...

Cool, I'm sure the kids love playing basketball with you! Cute picture.


Mom

Great Grumpy Z. said...

How come Jamey G looks so short compared to that other first grader? Are you trying to keep him "under wraps" until UCLA and UW start a "bidding war" to enroll him for their team?!

Handsome gang!!

Anonymous said...

Great Grumpy Z, I really think Jamey would be better served playing for WSU. Coach Bennett is a Comer-like coach that runs set plays and tough defense :-)

James, good photo and as mentioned above I am sure that the kids had a blast playing Bball with a "giant".

Tom

Anonymous said...

Jamey,
great picture! I am glad I am not the only person going grey (mine is just well hidden!)... You Look Great! miss you lots! give those boys & Heidi big hugs from me! Love, Ce