Sunday, November 05, 2006

Moody Photo



Using Picasa, I feel more free to do crazy things with photos than before. Picasa makes automatic backups before saving any altered version of a photo. So I am less inhibited about trying radical processing techniques on a photo, it is easy to undo all changes and even undo a save!
Here, I increased color saturation dramatically before using a filtered black & white effect to get the best contrast in the elements of the picture. Along the way I increased fill, highlight and shadows as well.


Here is another version, although I think I prefer grain over blur:




3 comments :

Lief said...

Excellent post-processing Jame.
I would also like to see the same effect provided to the Mushroom Hunting photo.

Not sure how you see such renderings out of what I would deem "also-rans" in a days shoot but these are great.

the_pope_of_chilitown said...

Agreed, grain over blur is a nicer effect for this shot; very nice sir! Great to see those boys again.

Amboy Observer said...

Thanks guys!

How'd I see it? I didn't for several days. I deemed it almost worthless when I first opened it. Several days later, having no new material to work with, I looked at it again and realized that it would be easier to "fill the frame" with the boys on this one, because they were horizontally aligned. With some aggressive cropping, the overall effect became more intimate.
And, I credit Picasa because it really does make it quick, easy and carefree to play with photos.