Friday, November 10, 2006

Soap In The Eye

Do you remember when you were a child, and getting the Johnson&Johnson "no-tears" shampoo in your eye made you cry like your cat just died? Then, growing up, you realized, hey, this stuff is rather mild. Eyes get tougher, or rather, desensitized, as you age.
Enter Selsun Blue.
This stuff has Selenium Sulfide in it. Now, I don't know the exact properties of Selenium Sulfide, but my understanding is roughly this: the skin on your scalp is whining and complaining about some irritation or other, so you send in Selenium Sulfide, which basically says "You want me to give you somethin' to cry about?!!" This is one bad dude. In just a few minutes of contact , you get no more whining from your scalp for at least a day. Now, as adults, we have graduated from the days of sloppy shampooing. We can sense where our hairline ends, and have the advantage that it is further from our eyes each passing day. We can get it all sudsy, without missing spots OR getting any in our eyes. That's just one of the perks of adulthood. How-ev-er....there are those infrequent accidents that remind us of childhood trauma.
Several years ago, when I first discovered the usefulness of Selsun Blue, I also discovered the curiously strong cap on the cap of the Selsum Blue bottle. It's stiff to open, requiring considerable thumb-strength and stiffness. They do not want children opening this product. Fair enough. And it's not just the latch which is stiff, the hinge on that cap is also quite robust; give a little push and it'll snap shut like a venus-flytrap. Always close your eyes before doing this. On that day, years ago, which I still remember vividly, I was unaware of this rule. One tiny droplet of the soap launched from the cap, directly onto my cornea, triggering sensations similar to the ones I experienced when I sprayed flat-black spraypaint in my eyes, or the time I had my corneas scratched by an ice-laden snowball. (I mean shards of ice, not to be confused with the microcrystals in snow, which couldn't scratch corneas.) So, from that day forward, I have diligently closed my eyes immediately preceding the closing of the Selsun Blue cap. (Forget what you hear about needing to hear something 15 times before you learn it; that's not always true.)
Last night, as I lay in the tub (imagine a Northern Pike in a sardine can) shampooing my hair, with Selsun Blue, I let some ride the water droplets down into the corner of my left eye. This brought back all those old memories and furnished me with some of the finer details that I had forgotten from my first experience, which I will now relate to you.
All the pain was still there, nothing new to add on that score. Here's what I had forgotten: hazy vision! For several hours after flushing out my eye with water, I found the vision in my left eye to be impaired as though I wore a pair of slightly foggy, or grease-smudged glasses. "How long is this supposed to last?" I asked myself. And, "How many more chances will I get, before this effect becomes permanent?", I added.
This morning I can still feel tenderness in the area where that most impressive concoction of a shampoo penetrated my eye. I don't know whether to blame or cheer animal-rights activists. In any case, the animal-testing has been done, the results are not hazy: avoid getting this soap in your eye.

5 comments :

Lief said...

I was there when you sprayed black paint in your eye. Saw it happen.

I was there when Tim hit you in the face with the slushie. Saw it happen.

A betting man may lay bets on some nefarious and, as yet, misunderstood correlation between the "I break things" factor and the reaction of your pitiful-excuse-for-protection eyelids.

Good science only needs one failing instance to disprove a theory so let me offer this evidence:
I was not in the bathtub with you last night.

Anonymous said...

You guys are funny!

Anonymous said...

When I was younger and first saw those commercials with the guy who had the two shampoos on his head, perfectly symmetrical with the clear division down the middle ("that tingle means it's working!"), I was confused. First, by how he could be standing in the shower with a headful of shampoo, happily talking away with his eyes open, and the shampoo wasn't running all over his face. Secondly, by the description of the menthol-infused scalp-burn as a tingle. Yeah, and getting hit in the face with the flat side of a shovel "smarts"...
Anyways, years later I figured out he was most likely wearing a polyurithane helmet sculpted to resemble a shampoo covered head. And immediately thereafter realized that you could make a living creating such helmets. At the time, however, I was flumoxed.
Great stuff, man. I laughed out loud several times reading this.
They won't let me leave a comment signed in as myself because I downloaded the new google-blogger beta program and it's not backwards-compatible yet...but this is Jerod. :)

Anonymous said...

Ye gods, Jamer! That is a worry about how many chances you get before the stuff snuffs out your vision permanently.
I vaguely recall having something semi-caustic in my eye and having blurry vision for some time afterwards. I theorized that it had something to do with temporarily making your cornea waterproof and thereby preventing the ultra thin layer of water (called "tears" in children-talk, but not in Machoese)to form which makes the objective lens of the eye as perfect as it can be.
But, I would still be cautious of future adventures with foreign substances in the eye, just in case my theory is in error.

Anonymous said...

Aside to "Mom":
If you think those boys are funny, what do you think their Grandparents think? I have suspicions that they are both a little crazy sometimes -- just like their Dad.