Friday, December 08, 2006

Christmas Shopping Nearly Done

Whew, I got up at 4 this morning and by 7:30 had nearly completed my Christmas shopping for the year. United Parcel Santa should have everything here on time for the big day. The kids will hopefully really like what we're getting them. Robots were on the top of their lists this year, and I think I found just the ones to thrill them.
Robots, in general, provide me with a fair degree of excitement. I think that within the next 20 years or so we should see some amazing things in robotics. Of course, within 100 years nanobots will have turned everything into a smooth grey slurry, which isn't as exciting. But in the meantime we should have lots of fun.
I've also managed to pique Jamey's interest in hydraulic exoskeletons for humans, which I read about several months ago. Perhaps in the near future we'll be able to buy these types of devices to assist in heavy labor. The dexterity of a human with the power of a forklift!
Yes, Heidi, I have nearly finished shopping for you too. And I bought stocking-stuffers. No, I won't tell you what I bought you; it's a surprise. :)

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Were you able to get a robot that can do any of the things on Jamey's list? Like zap, blast pink stuff out, unlock things, kapow up, break trees down, touch hot lava, smush things, cast a fly farther than the lake, or turn colors into slime?

I have a robot that can fly. Maybe I should bring it when we come to visit. It has a master control unit so a human can make sure it doesn't accidentally fly into a tree or the ground. We could make it fly around over your big field of bracken ferns.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bop-op, and with an infra-red sensor, it could pin-point any deer hidden in the woods so GGG could go back in there and bring out a nice dinner for the next Z gathering!

GGG