Thursday, April 19, 2007

Excitement

Excitement is a strange thing. I have noticed that I often get online and search my blog feeds and the news for something exciting. And I have noticed that I don't get nearly as much excitement that way, in any given day, as I usually hope for.

What seems to work better for me is to do my best to ignore the news for a few days at a time. Then, I get a much better ratio of excitement to time-spent-online. On non-news days, if I read good literature (Charles Johnson for example), do something physical and go out into the world etc.. I feel healthier; I have fewer cravings for the cheap-thrill of daily news.

Furthermore, I'm continuing to consider what qualifies as excitement to me, and whether there is any virtue in seeking it. This is very nearly the same topic brought up by a very fine teacher I had in high school: Carvil Dutch Day. He asked us "What is fun?". Everyone agreed "fun" was worth seeking, but none had a firm grasp on how to describe what qualified as "fun".

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

There are so many fun things in the world that I cannot begin to list them all. However, summer vacation, payday, and my kids are right at the top of my particular list.