Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

This is the doctor's diagnosis of Arthur's condition.
Here's a link describing it:
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.htm

A couple interesting points:
  1. It appears to be a label without an explanation
  2. It could be what I had as a child, my cycle was yearly and culminated on Dec. 26th. Although, I could very easily attribute my bouts with the double excitement of Christmas, followed by my birthday.
I think similar factors may trigger Arthur's bouts. An unpredictable eating or sleeping schedule may be triggers (this is my opinion here).

One last note, from the doctor: known trigger foods are a) Chocolate, b) Cheese and one other that Heidi will have to remind me of...

4 comments :

The Campbell's said...

Good for you guys for researching this along with his doctor. I hope he stays free of it for a long time now. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, interesting. You probably did have it James, every year on your birthday. Sounds like it is stress related especially because migraine headaches are possibly wrapped up with it.
Dad used to have migraines. The best thing I ever heard to do in case of a migraine is warm up extremities, dunk cold hands in warm water, feet in tub, or get under a heating blanket or heating pad, it helps blood flow improve to the extremities and reduces blood pressure in the head.

Mom

Anonymous said...

I hope that you can find the trigger so you prevent it from continuing. I am sure it will be a challenge however.

Tom

Anonymous said...

I have had CVS for all of my life.
It is a horrible, painful condition. Always remember hot baths can alleviate the pain/stop an episode, and I also use a massage chair for the sore muscles. It makes a world of difference. There seem to be triggers, but I describe it as a seizure disorder, coming and going at will. Seems I can go into a spell after eating, but during wellness, I can eat that same food without repercussions. Hope this helps! Stress is a trigger for sure.