Thursday, December 08, 2005

Weekend Update

On a clear day, like today, a large shadow on the side of Mt. St. Helens' snowy SE slope is slightly jarring. Of course the only explanation is that ash must have blown over the lip of the crater to settle on the otherwise pristine white southern face. It's fun to see evidence of activity on the mountain; a little disturbing, yes, but fun nonetheless. It is also rare to have a winter day clear enough to know without doubt that it is not a cloud-shadow.
This sunny day has also allowed us to avoid having a fire all day, despite conditions that caused 1/2 inch ice-sheets in any water standing outside last night. The temp has raised inside about 4 degrees farenheit since this morning.
We're preparing to host a large party over the weekend. As such I ran to the dump to purge more of the seemingly endless stream of trash we've generated during the construction of this house. After the dump I went a few miles south to pick up a used dryer I'd found on craigslist.com. When I got to the house with the dryer, I realized I had left my hand-truck/dolly at the dump. : So, after loading the dryer by hand, I zoomed back to the dump and made my way back to the place where I left the dolly only to see it being scooped up in the bucket of a massive bulldozer. I watched it get pushed along, with a sensation similar to watching a kite get tangled in an impossibly high tree, or a cell-phone dropped into deep water. However, the dozer finished his push and backed up for another go. The dolly was on the near side of the heap. I dashed out across the mounds of mattresses and sheetrock-scraps, trying to remember how it was that Remo Williams was able to run on water. Miraculously the dolly appears unharmed, albeit wet and covered in heaven-knows-what.

No comments :