Wednesday, August 24, 2005

IE Copy/Paste Scripting Behavior

Here's some 5 year old news for you:
This site points out how Internet Explorer can allow a website to see what's in your clipboard.
You can disable or prompt for that feature by setting the value of the following registry key to 3 or 1, respectively:
HKeyCurrentUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1407

Alternatively, you could use this Internet Explorer menu and choose Disable or Prompt:
  • Tools>>Internet Options
  • Click on the Security tab, then the Custom Level button
  • Scroll to almost the bottom to find the option called: Scripting
  • The second option below Scripting is Allow paste operations via script
  • That is the option you will probably want to set to Disable or Prompt

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

You know what, that is a great tip, I had not heard that one before.
I have two other tips along that same line.
I disabled that script by editing the following registry key
HKeyCurrentUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows
I changed it to
HKeyCurrentUser\Software\Macintosh\OSX
That did the trick.

For those not willing or inclined (which is fair) to go that far you could take back the web with either of two much better browsers by loading
Opera
http://opera.com/download/?platform=windows
or
Firefox
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.0.6&os=win〈=en-US

If you have never used them you will be amazed at how much better/safer/faster/nopopups/useful surfing the web can be with the right tool. IE just isn't it.

Anonymous said...

English please.

Anonymous said...

Please explain how "a website can see what's on your clipboard." I think what you're talking about is the ability to paste from the clipboard to a form on a web site. I'd like to know if there is a vulnerability here, or is it just paranoia.

Amboy Observer said...

"Take back the Web"???
That sounds like a lot of work. Can't someone just spoon-feed it to me?

Anonymous said...

Hey, are you callin' me spam? I represent that statement! Moi

Amboy Observer said...

I would never call you spam.
I deleted the real spam already. You probably didn't see it. Sales pitches from people wanting to sell me diet pills and jewelry.
I'm thinking: Thanks! You must have read my blog and seen that I'm ALL about diet pills and jewelry.

Anonymous said...

You mean I can't get my herbalife and Joan Rivers Bijoux here? What's the point then, really? Hee hee hee. Bonne journee.