Friday, August 26, 2005

Voice: AOL, Google, Skype

Lief made a good point in the comments of my Googletalk post. I'm not familiar with almost any IM clients out there, so it may have been a day late and a dollar short for me to plug Googletalk that way.
Do AOL/MSN Messenger/AIM/Trillian et. al. have a voice-only mode?
Also I heard that Skype is an existing service that has more to offer than the new Googletalk.
If any of you regular readers has, or cares to install one of these tools, let me know which one and we can test the phone features.
It appears to require broadband. My apologies to those without.

1 comment :

Lief said...

Well now upon further investigation I may have to retract my statement. Funny. I didn't know GoogleTalk actually let you TALK! I thought it was just an IM client.

So, as far as clients doing voice? I don't know.
I don't think Trillian does that (but it is just an all-in-one client for MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, GAIM etc)
I don't think the AOL client does voice.
I don't think the yahoo client does voice.
I think MSN may have something like that (NetMeeting?) but I have used it and it is clunky at best.

Now I will have to get a GMail account to see if I can use that Talk feature.
I will try that with you Jame.

Lief