Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Big Melt

Snow is melting fast now. It's raining and there is a solid wall of drips coming from the edge of the snow hanging over my gutters.

That said, it's still going to take a while to melt all this snow. With any luck enough of it will be gone by Monday morning that I'll be able to drive to work.

We will be on the lookout for flooding if this melt happens very swiftly.

Our neighbors on top of Green Mountain report snow that is chest-deep and large Douglas Fir trees snapping at the main stem. Also, they had one collapsed building.
They said this storm compares only with the storm of 1968 for overall intensity.

My sheet-metal shed collapsed too. I expect more stories of damage as we begin to get out more.

1 comment :

The Campbell's said...

It's melting here too. My street which was snow and ice for a week is now mushy and slushy and harder to get through than the sheet of ice and snow. I got a little stuck in the Safeway parking lot yesterday in a foot of soft mushy, slushy snow. I just had to keeping backing up and going forward and finding a set of tracks in the snow that worked for me!!