Tuesday, December 16, 2008

SuperTuna Alcohol Stove

Last year I was fascinated with the Heineken Penny Alcohol Stove. This year I'm enchanted with the SuperCat, or in my case, the SuperTuna Alcohol Stove.
The SuperCat-style stove has the advantage of simplicity, in that you don't need to cut or create a lid. It also requires no additional hardware to stand your pan on, as the stove itself has the strength to hold any normally weighted pan.
The SuperCat is made from Fancy Feast cat food cans. I borrowed a tool for punching the holes that is too large for those, but perfect for tuna cans. So, I expeditiously adopted the tuna can as my can of choice.
Here you can see the SuperTuna in action:
And here are the yummy results after just one and one half "charges" of alcohol (the vegetables were frozen)

2 comments :

Bop-op said...

What? No plans?

I have some cat food cans too, so maybe I could make one of those alcohol stoves. I never got any Heineken cans, since I don't live in "red neck" country, but this may be my opportunity if you could tell us how the stove is made.

It looks like you put a bunch of holes around the top rim. I assume the top is gone, as an after-effect of feeding the cats. Are there any other features, besides adding alcohol?

Are you using Wood alcohol?

Amboy Observer said...

If you want to make one, search Google for SuperCat alcohol stove.

If you just want one, leave a comment on this blog, or ask Santa.

The basic idea seems to be 1/8th inch holes, 1/2 an inch apart, center to center.

Fill the can with pure alcohol, I'm using denatured alcohol, but methanol would probably work too.

Once the fuel is lit, you may have to experiment with when to place the pan on top. I read that it helps to get the fuel boiling, and my observations back that up. However, it seems to work pretty well even if it isn't boiling.