Monday, January 07, 2008

The Tastes of The Father

We hear a lot about the sins of the father, but we don't hear about the tastes of the father as much. I'm talking, in particular, about musical tastes. All of us grow up listening to the music of our parents' taste to some extent. Sometimes we're deeply influenced by those tastes. I've read many an interview with successful musicians who related how they spent hours listening to their parents' record collection.
To come to the point, I've lent Arthur the use of my new MP3 player these past few nights and so far he's been listening to Leonard Cohen and Pink Martini. Leonard Cohen, he refers to as the 'Old Man Songs'.
At dinner yesterday, he said
"When I was listening to the Old Man songs, I heard him say 'When they said repentz repentz repentz, I wonder what they meant.'"
Some may consider this signs that the tastes are really sins, but I couldn't be happier.

6 comments :

Lief said...

I will testify that Abbey Road is one of the best albums of all time.
Go Arthur!

On another note...more than once have Emma, Abby, and I all "rocked out" to Metallica.

Anonymous said...

Right on gentlemen. My kids can sing U2 and Coldplay with the best of them. Colette loves musicals such as Hairspray and High School Musicals 1 and 2 as well. Keep on singing!!

Anonymous said...

Who could forget "The Music Man"?

This concept also works in reverse, the younger generation influencing the elders. I have been treated to High School Musical 2 lyrics and music, mermaids singing, Bun-Bun and other musical treats just this holiday period alone.

And as for Arthur, well he rocks!

Grandma Theresa

Anonymous said...

James, I miss you my friend... i love your posts... if i close my eyes it's like we sitting on your couch in the house you shared with lief in university, talking in the wee hours of the morning.... across the miles, I send you a big hug... Arthur & jamey are truly zimmerman clones! Love, CeAnn

Great Grumpy Z. said...

CeAnn: You opined, "Arthur & jamey are truly zimmerman clones!"

You can't know how true that is! More specifically, they are James E. Zimmerman clones.

Grumpy proudly, but self-preservingly disavows any influence on their [or their Father's] tastes in music.

Amboy Observer said...

For the record, "Give Me Forty Acres" was Arthur's first favorite song. That was because I sang it to him repeatedly. And that was because Great Grumpy Z. was so enthusiastic about it. As to whether that lead to an eventual appreciation for Leonard Cohen is anyone's guess.