Friday, August 13, 2010

Zebra Beetle? Nope...a Banded Alder Borer.


Arthur and Jamey found this bug and tried to describe it to me a few days ago. But I had no frame of reference because I'd never seen this before.

Yesterday Arthur spotted this one and called me over to see it.

I can't wait to learn about this one.
UPDATE: as usual I wait to do my research until after I post.
I found out that this insect is native to North America (after fearing the worst when I cam across the Asian Longhorned Beetle in my search). It turns out they like to use dead wood to raise their young, and aren't considered economically damaging. Whew!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments :

Bop-op said...

I think you posted this photo in black and white on purpose, to make it more difficult for us to identify that bug.

Momsie said...

Those boys have good eyes, and a firm stomach, yikes! The antennae alone could put one on the shrink's couch!

Lief said...

That is one fantastic looking bug.
Good find boys.

The Campbell's said...

Oh, is that antennae? I thought he was lifting weights!!

Momsie said...

Funny Campbell's!

Jo Lyn said...

My husband just found one like it on the rooftop of a commercial building in Vancouver WA today - while he was working. Thanks for letting us know what it is. I called it a Zebra Bug. Glad to know it is not economically damaging!

Anonymous said...

We just found one too in Vancouver, WA. Great find, and I too am glad that it wasn't some type of alien species. I Love Google!

Anonymous said...

Found one last week..will be displayed in wifes classroom..