Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sons And Surf


Ka'anapali beach surf has a small amount of shallow beach, transitioning quickly into water too deep to stand in. Consequently I could stand in rollers all day while 10-15 feet away the boys were buffeted by crashing waves. Not that I did that. In actuality I took a fair amount of drubbing at the hands of the high seas.

Over the course of our stay the seas got rougher each day. On our second to last day, the surf was bordering on dangerous. But in true Zimmerman fashion all three of us played in it for 2-3 solid hours. Enough time for no fewer than three other adventurous groups of body surfers to come and go, finding the waves too rough to manage.

For myself I'm mildly pleased to be able to report this display of machismo, but I'm truly impressed by my sons who didn't have the luxury of hiding out from the worst of the waves and were submerged by thrashing white-water dozens more times than I was.

Bragging aside, the body-surfing was loads of fun.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments :

The Campbell's said...

Looks fun and beautiful :)

Great Grumpy Z. said...

Hooray for the Z-Machismo!!

The boys look like little dolphins with hair on their head!

Nice action picture! I can practically hear the roar of the surf.

Momsie said...

Too much information for my ticker.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. The girls also took the waves on Kuai and LOVED them. We were there in December we should have coordinated with the cousins!