Saturday, December 21, 2013

In Praise of Liberty Orchards

A couple times a year, most years of my conscious life, I've had the pleasure of tasting Aplets & Cotlets. And for the first time this year I had the Peach Walnut Fruit Delights, which I find worthy of sharing shelf-space with Aplets & Cotlets.

This year I realized Liberty Orchards is a national treasure.

Aplets and Cotlets stand out from the crowd for their texture and flavor.

Flavor: These candies are on an entirely different (higher) plane than what comes to mind when you use the word "candies". I don't want to speculate, but I believe it is because they are using real fruit and are wholly dedicated to quality. When I taste an Aplet or Cotlet, my tongue tells me that the very essence, spirit and soul of a perfectly ripe fruit has been carefully wrapped in silky pectin, like a genie in a bottle in order to grant me one wish: to know what fruit tastes like in heaven.

Texture:  The texture of Aplets & Cotlets is a gentle firmness that melts away readily, allowing you to enjoy the wonderful sensation of perfectly ripe summer fruit with no distracting or unpleasant stiff, sticky or chewy textures.

The only affiliation I have with Liberty Orchards is that I am a lifelong resident of Washington State. I'll admit there may be some home-state pride involved in this review.

4 comments :

Great Grumpy Z said...

And, your description and commentary of Liberty Orchards' product and attention to quality and nutrition (fruit without excess artificial sweeteners -- including refined sugar!) is worthy of an advertising representative of Liberty Orchards themselves!

By the way, I agree with you 100%.

GpaZ.

Amboy Observer said...

Thank you GpaZ...as a plainsman you couldn't be accused of geographically-based partiality. I appreciate the affirmation.

Bop-op said...

Two years ago we sent a box of Aplets and Cotlets as a "thank you" to some new friends in Illinois. They told us they were delighted and had never tasted anything like it before. I found that difficult to comprehend since I've been enjoying them for as long as I can remember.

Anonymous said...

Glad you like them James, I recall being at the factory and still see, in my minds eye the copper kettles and the molten fruits. I discovered after reading about and eating some real "turkish delight" candy that they are clearly derived from that confection. I never get a complaint when they are on hand, nor given. And Washington State does seem to hold it's own in the candy making and sporting world!