Thursday, October 28, 2010

Back On Top...So To Speak

Last week, as I was biking back to Hockinson from work while feeling smug in my fitness-level on the bike (not saying I deserved to feel smug, only that I did), from out of nowhere another biker blew past me.

He was a smaller man on a smaller bike. And he appeared to be more flexible, as he was able to maintain the crouched racing position favored by professional bike racers.

So, I did what any male across the globe would do, I tried to keep up with him.

Alas, it wasn't to be. He made it through a light that turned red before I got there. And though after the light turned back to green I huffed and puffed, trying to catch him, he remained an elusive yellow dot in the distance.
He was quite likely in better shape (i.e. cardiovascular health) than me, but I also feel his literal shape played a large role. He presented a strikingly reduced frontal profile as compared to my own.

This raises two important questions:
1. Why does the simple fact of being passed suddenly motivate me to try harder?
2. Why should small, flexible guys have the advantage in wind-resistance?

I think I know the answer to question one, and if I don't it's going to require a psychiatrist to unravel.

Question 2 is not so ambiguous.
The answer: they shouldn't!

I'm not particularly small and I'm exceptionally not flexible, but I can simulate both conditions by getting in a streamlined recumbent velomobile.

When I do, who will motivate me to try harder? Probably anyone passing me in a Prius. Hybrid power? I've got your hybrid power.

But that's a topic for next time.


4 comments :

Lief said...

There's almost always another "rabbit".
A city bus springs to mind.

And you could always run across Crazy Joe.

Great Grumpy Z. said...

There's just no way that you are ever going overcome that huge difference in cross-sectional area to the wind; nor should you regret it!! You were born to be tall and broad; just remember, if you run into that guy again, just challenge him to a game of One-on-One on a court of his choosing.

You'd win, hands down (pun intended).

Amboy Observer said...

Grumpy,

My hope is that when I run into that guy again, I'll be in my Quest. Then we'll see who has the worse "cross-sectional area to the wind".

[evil smug laughter here]

Great Grumpy Z. said...

You won't "run into him again" if you merely steer around him; but not too close. You don't want your wake vortices to tip him over.

Or maybe you do!