Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dulcinea Driving

Never forget your balaclava on a cold day.

That's my advice du jour.

I thought I'd go for a short drive to start beefing-up my leg muscles today. The temperature was in the high 40's and a misty rain was falling. No problem, methinks...I'll be protected by Dulcinea and the temperature nor the moisture can affect me. True on the 95% of my body that is not my face. Somehow though, that 5% manages to suffuse 100% of your mind with thoughts of pain and suffering when you start going over 20 mph in cool rainy morning air. Thus...balaclava and goggles will be donned or brought along until the weather proves itself to be temperate.

Good news...I cut away a bit more heel-room below my pedals and that has all but completely alleviated the space issues I've been having. I've discovered that if I can keep my heels pushed forward just a bit, my knees don't bump. Keeping the keels pushed forward is perfectly comfortable, there just has to be room to do it. Now that I have the room, I'd say I'm 98% dialed-in. Cutting away just a bit more should take care of it. It's also possible that shoes with less tread would do the trick, so I'm weighing the option of getting new shoes as my next step.

I was happy to note that on a roughly level patch of road following a downhill, I was able do maintain 32 mph under my own power. I'm coming off 2 weeks of sickness that has left my lungs in a delicate state and my legs are still weak after three months of no biking. Considering that...I'm extremely pleased with the level-ground performance.

Soon, I'll be making an appointment to see EcoSpeed Motors about installing some hill-assistance. I expect to need shorter cranks to allow for the extra space the motor installation requires.

6 comments :

Momsie said...

I thought you said never forget your baklava! I was so impressed that you took time to enjoy a Greek treat before biking :)

Sorry you were sick, glad the adaptation gave you room. Build up slowly and hope you feel better.

Mom

Bop-op said...

32 MPH??? You've got me drooling now. I want one of those things too.

I wear goggles all the time, even when I'm only going 20 MPH on my diamond frame. I just don't like dirt and bugs going into my eyes. At speeds of 25 and more (going downhill for me) rain drops begin to hurt, and snow really stings. When it hails, I stop and find shelter.

I wonder what the combination of goggles, a balaclava, and a complete fairing would do to the body temperature. Do you have to wear light clothing?

Amboy Observer said...

Momsie: baklava would be a great treat to eat before donning my balaclava and going for a ride. I'll do it.

Bop-op: light clothes are a must. Even when my face felt frozen, I had no discomfort anywhere else, even though I wasn't warmed up yet. However, I like to think of it as "you get to where light clothing". We'll see what my story is in the heat of summer.
I also think that 32 mph stretch probably had some mild downhill to it. It's going to take a lot more time behind the tiller before I can say what a realistic flat speed is for me. It is clear though that it will be much higher than my diamond-frame speed.

Great Grumpy Z. said...

I too, at first, thought you were talking about Baklava -- which would be perfect for a cold day! Lots of instant energy (= heat).

You ought to have at least a small windshield, ala an open-cockpit airplane. Then I could dub your toy "Yellow Peril II"!!

Momsie said...

You have The Complete Works of Mark Twain, right? Read "The Bicycle", I especially like his description regarding inclines.

Anonymous said...

Now to preface this is Aunt Jane and you know sometimes my brain works like my mother's used to work , I could not figure out what good baklava would do in keeping you warm except raising your sugar level.
Of course than I remembered my learning disability and reread your post. Got it!