Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Artificial Sweeteners

Lately I've noticed a lot of products containing Splenda (aka sucralose) on the store shelves. Not wishing to spend 5-10 years ingesting something only to find out it is toxic, I decided to Google sucralose. My findings are not conclusive, but I feel there are enough parallels to Aspartame, which I think has certainly been shown to be dangerous, to warrant avoiding sucralose altogether.
Here are my assertions:
  • The artificial sweetener landscape is highly irrational.
  • The most popular sweeteners are not safe.
  • The safest sweeteners are not popular.
Here is the page I'm citing (there are more, but this one had it all in one place):
http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/splenda.asp?id=1&campaignno=artificialsweeteners&adgroup=splenda&keywords=sucralose

Aspartame/NutraSweet

Aspartame, the main ingredient in Equal and NutraSweet, is responsible for the most serious cases of poisoning, because the body actually digests it. Aspartame should be avoided by most women, but particularly in those with neuropsychiatric concerns. Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma.

Sucralose/Splenda

Splenda is the trade name for a new synthetic compound called sucralose, comprised of two molecules of sucrose (sugar) and three molecules of chlorine. While some industry experts claim the molecule is similar to salt, other independent researchers say it has more in common with pesticides.

Observational evidence shows that there are side effects of Splenda, including skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain.

Stevia
...we recommend the herb stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) over sorbitol as a natural sweetener to our patients. Known in South America as the “sweet herb,” stevia has been used for over 400 years without ill effect.

Information like this makes me believe that the FDA and the companies that make these products are far more willing than I am to see my body used as a testbed for the latest chemical they've created.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I like the Stevia story, but after testing it for several weeks I have decided that it doesn't sweeten anything. At least I have not been able to find a way to get any sweet taste out of it. I'm probably using it incorrectly.
Here's an example: I like to put a tablespoon of brown sugar on my oatmeal and mix it right in the bowl. If I put a tablespoon of Stevia in there, the oatmeal tastes just like it does without any sugar in it. Am I supposed to let the Stevia cook in the oatmeal instead?

Amboy Observer said...

I'm not quite sure what to think of that. Stevia is only 20 times sweeter than sugar, according to that article. That is a low ratio compared with Aspartame and Sucralose.
I think Heidi has some knowledge of the properties of Stevia regarding foods that it enhances and those that it doesn't do much for. I'll have to ask her to shed some light on this oatmeal issue. In the meantime, I'd stick with the brown sugar.

Anonymous said...

I prefer honey as a sweetener. It is all natural and does have some medicinal properties as well. I don't use much so I am not overly concerned of the calories.

Tom.