Monday, April 09, 2007

Wild Weather

It was a strange week; after snow-dusting on the 2nd, we had a high of 81 on the 6th.
Heidi and the boys came back from the beach, amoxicillin in-hand. Jamey had had a bad earache; both boys were sick. But the magic of amoxicillin worked again. As did some liquid I have yet to hear the name of, which when applied directly to the ear, alleviates the pressure.

I found it hard to sleep while they were gone. Yesterday I made up for the lack, by napping in the afternoon, after working on a portable chicken coop.
Jamey adopted 2 of the chickens that his kindergarten class hatched as a "learning experience". Arthur felt left out, so was allowed to get 2 of his own from Wilco.
Chickens grow really fast.
So, we're madly trying to fabricate an impenetrable, movable fortress for them to live outside in.
Lief might be glad to know that I've now made use of most of the decking material he sent home with me. The pieces have gone to a raised garden bed, where I'm growing a fabulous crop of garlic at present; the foundation of the toolshed that Bopop helped me build and now, the impenetrable, movable fortress of a chicken coop.
So, there is life-after-death, at least for decking material.
I've heard that people only need something to be excited about, which seems true. But sometimes it seems that if you can't think of something exciting enough to get you out of bed in the morning, thinking of something stressful can do the job. (Did I suffocate the chickens with that cover I put over them to keep Roadrunner from jumping out? No, I didn't. Whew.)

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

It was "clove oil" for the ear in the old days.

Glad to hear you got a chicken coop in place and that each boy has some chicks to tend. I put out the blown eggs from "the girls" for Easter. What kind of chicks are the new ones?

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter.

Amboy Observer said...

Thanks. Hope you all had a great Easter too.

Our chickens are Auracana (we think). Should make nice subjects for photography when their adult feathers come in.

Great Grumpy Z. said...

Are Auracana "small" chickens? And do they have colored feathers?

I had chickens for 4-H club several years; mine were Plymouth (or Barred) Rock. Laid white eggs and were good to eat. I don't suppose these chickens will ever see the inside of a freezer, will they!

Amboy Observer said...

The only thing I know at the moment about Araucana is that they lay colored eggs, usually blue-green.
I read about them once, but have forgotten all the details. Here's a link that will explain if you're curious:
http://www.araucanaclubofamerica.org/

Lief said...

I am glad to hear about the use of that lumber. After all the storage I did for that stuff it is good to know it wasn't in vain.

What are the other chickens names?