Wednesday, October 05, 2011

First Real Commute - Part 2

The rain moved in late in the day, which gave me the chance to test the theory that one can be comfortable driving a Quest velomobile in the rain.

The comfort-level was quite good. The amount of ventilation is about right to keep from overheating, while the amount of wind-blocking prevented me from getting chilled on the descents.

I do need to remember to wear face-protection in the rain. Raindrops are positively painful at speeds over 40 mph, which I hit on at least 3 downhill spots each way.

Also, I need some anti-fog eye-wear that really works.

Finally, on the last mile before arriving home for the evening my throttle-lever slipped out of position. When I re-adjusted it I found I was able to apply more amperage than before. This means it's possible I still haven't tested the system with maximum throttle. I'm excited to see how much faster I can ascend the hills with this new top-end.

5 comments :

Momsie said...

I'm trying to determine if the "faster" gene come with the male chromosomes, the last name, or what.

Can't you just enjoy the ride and smell the daffodils in that thing?

Mom

Great Grumpy Z. said...

Try a pair of ski goggles -- the ones I used to use in the Navy had interchangeable lenses (clear, amber and green). They should fit over your regular glasses and have some ventilation that allow enough circulation to prevent fogging up.

Amboy Observer said...

Mom,

I'm merely trying not to waste an excessive amount of time commuting.

By combining my commute with my workout, I'm improving my effectiveness. However I'd be okay with only 2 hours of workout per day if I could manage it.

So, you see there are reasons other than a chromosomal mandate for speed.

Grumpy,

I will try the ski goggle idea.

Momsie said...

Well I understand of course the commuting challenge, but since you are duo-tasking -- that is commuting and exercising --you may as well make it a tri-task and work in some quality smelling time as well.

As far as the discussion regarding speed, my belief is it is both chromosomal and affiliated with monikers. :)

Bop-op said...

I tried the amber ski goggles. The best thing they do is prevent rain water from dripping down across my eyebrows and into my eyes. They still fog up, they let my face get hot when I'm not rolling fast, and the darkened (amber) color is not helpful in the dark and rain.