Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Smiles and Waves

The reactions I've seen while driving my velomobile have been consistent and at times incredibly energetic.
  • The most basic and common is the broad smile, usually from someone alone and on foot.
  • Two people together will usually cause one to elbow the other while pointing excitedly my direction.
  • Two or more high-school aged persons will often shout vociferous approval, "Awesome car!" or something guttural, perhaps while thrusting a fist outward with index and pinkie-finger extended.
  • A young child might say: "I want one".
  • I had a Harley-Davidson rider pull up alongside me and quiz me on my power-source. Upon learning it was pedal+electric he offered to race me to the next gas station, which I found hilarious.
My perception from all this feedback is that driving the Quest is really worth the effort. Around here it really is something different. People recognize it as a thing of interest and I like to think that they intuitively understand its power as an energy-saving mode of transportation.

In any case it's nice to think that when the kids standing out at their bus-stops, or riding their buses, come home after school and their mother asks what they saw on "Mulberry Street"....they will have something worth mentioning.

5 comments :

Bop-op said...

There should be two races with the Harley Davidson: one with motor assist and another without.

Bop-op said...

In the non-motor-assist race, it should be OK for the Harley Davidson driver to get off and push, if he thinks he can go faster that way.

Momsie said...

Yes, Mulberry Street is rarely dull to the observant eye! Sounds fun.

Lief said...

I get a fair number of comments on my bike too.
Lotsa kids too.
With luck the excitement wins out over crazy.

A lady got out of her car at a stoplight today and told me that with my yellow coat and flashing front light I looked just like one of tbose people that write tickets in downtown and that it was very distracting.
The cyclist that pulled up next to me inquired about whether I should go for the less visible look instead.

We both got a good chuckle at that.
One mans distraction is another mans life. :)

Great Grumpy Z. said...

My two Grandsons -- the World's Wonders.

I'll bet another expression -- perhaps a gasp of amazement -- might be elicited if you uncoiled yourself and crawled out of that streamlined body shield!!