Sunday, March 03, 2013

Garlic...In the Ground...Finally

Last year I grew 5 types of garlic, then promptly lost my markers showing which type was which.

Anyway the season was rough; it stayed wet so long into June that much of the garlic molded.

I think I was a bit disheartened and failed to find the energy to plant in October, per plan. But finally, in January I managed (with Heidi's help) to get the Garlic planted.

This year will see an expanded crop of Elephant, since we had such a great experience using it in soup instead of shallots. And in the "true-garlic" category, I bought only Chesnok Red from the local organic farm, since those seemed to have a strong flavor and held up well to last years soggy conditions. (Unlike the Kettle River, which molded like strawberries)

The varieties that resisted the mold from last year went back into the ground in a grab-bag that will contain Italian Red, Purple Stripe, Mt. St. Helens, Spanish Roja and Kazakhstan.

1 comment :

freiseele said...

I love garlic & kick myself that I didn't think to plant any this yr! But in Jan I was a little tied up for awhile... :)