Sunday, March 03, 2013

The First(s) of March

Two days ago I took a stroll around the grounds and noted quite a few firsts of the season.

  1. First Rhubarb bud pokes through the soil
  2. First Oregon Wood Sorrel does the same
  3. First garden greens sprouting
  4. First willow-buds emerging
  5. First horseradish leaves emerge
And there are some things that have been happening for a few weeks, such as the emergence of snow-drops and other bulb-plants, like garlic, iris and chives.

In other fun garden-news, we're attempting to make new plants from cuttings of our friend's fruit trees. Among them are numerous apple varieties and a 100-year-old Royal Anne cherry, which produces the most unbelievably delicious sour fruit.

I really hope the propagation succeeds!

I also think this year will see some grapes on the vines Heidi bought me 3+ years ago. I finally provided them something to climb on (a climbing arch toy upcycled from my brother's neighborhood park)

We have big plans to expand the garden this year. Cascara trees have been invading and swallowing up our usable land, so I plan to mount an offensive to take back a bunch of prime territory. We also should have a nice, large plot for greens once we provide a new yard for the chickens.

Spring is coming. It's feeling good. We've only heated our house for a couple hours in the past 72. Our wood-pile is low, but traditionally we stop needing it around the first of April. It's looking clear that we'll finish the heating season having consumed less than 1.5 cords of wood.

1 comment :

Momsie said...

Sounds like our yard, I will send you a photo of the narcissus I photographed yesterday, the lilacs are mere buds, rhubarb is about 4 inches tall and today I plant Crocosmia Lucifer bulbs to attract hummingbirds.