Sunday, January 15, 2006

Spice of Life

Heidi and I were able to take an extended day to ourselves yesterday, and we really enjoyed it.
First stop, Penzey's spice store in SE Portland. Wow, what an awesome place. You don't just get cinnamon, you get China Cassia, Vietnamese Cassia or some other type, which isn't the 'best' so I forget what it's called. You can get three types of saffron, (their best, the Kashmir, is cheaper than what I found at Fred Meyer, by a considerable margin!) nutmeg whole or ground, mace whole or ground, and enormous variety of premixed seasonings. It's all highest quality and very reasonably priced. Envy would be a natural and healthy response right about now, it's ok.
Second stop, Sur La Table, where we picked up a professional Belgian waffle-maker, which we've had our eyes on for quite some time. We had waffles for breakfast this morning and wow! We are stoked. Plus, the ground mace we bought from Penzey's we found out is the secret flavor of doughnuts, so we threw some of that into our waffles and mmmmmmmmm yum.
Third stop, Powell's bookstore, which is pretty much our idea of heaven on earth. I got a few technical books to bolster up my knowledge of the newest versions of ASP.NET and SQL Server. Heidi got some fun books for herself and the kids.
Fourth stop, Whole Foods, which is our other idea of heaven on earth, where you can buy anything in the store because it's all carefully reviewed for harmful chemicals etc.., and they have things like 5 year old cheese from Europe, Seville oranges and perhaps the best pizza in town, although admittedly we have a few more pizzas to try before that assessment can be conclusive.
To cap off the night, we rented The Wedding Crashers, which despite having next to nothing for a plot, was hilarious. How could it not be with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson teamed up?
The kids got to go swimming, so they were having a great time too.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Did the boys get a chance to try out their new swimming mask and snorkel?

Amboy Observer said...

Not yet. The pool they went to doesn't allow equipment like that, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Owen a riot! I love him ever since I saw him with Jackie Chan.

And the lichen, nice.

Oh, yeah, I could use a few whole nutmegs next time you get to Penzey's -- I have an awesome nutmeg grinder but the same nutmegs that came with it I think!?

Love your writing even the fish poem, and yes most poems do need to "season" on the shelf.

I was a little worried about your bridge, who maintains it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I can vouch for the strength of that bridge! Those side rails kept me from driving off the bridge that day I spotted the freshly-fallen Alder tree that was cut down by a beaver. One of the bolt heads probably still has a bit of aluminum alloy off the rim of my new car.

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Portland, but I read an article in the Seattle Times about visiting Portland and they said that Powells is a must see place

Tom Buss

Amboy Observer said...

That is absolutely true. Powell's is our primary recreational destination in Portland. It makes Barnes & Noble look like a boutique.